Dear Friends and Supporters of Edenbridge and District War Memorial Hospital,
Thank you for looking at our website, I hope you have found the answer to your query.
Many of you may be looking on-line to understand more the “listening” or Engagement process that our Community Trust (Kent Community Health Foundation Trust) have commenced with regard to the future provision of NHS services to the Edenbridge Community and local district.
If you are interested in finding out more, please go to: www.kentcht.nhs.uk/edenbridgefuture/
In February 2017, our West kent Clinical Commissioning group will commence the consultation part of the process. By then it is hoped that NHS England, the Board of the West Kent Clinical Commissioning Group and the Board of Kent Community Health NHS Foundation Trust will have given their approval for the project and the commencement of the consultation process.
Public meetings will be announced and the poplulation of Edenbridge and surrounding villages will have an opportunity to comment on the proposals.
Please do attend and make your voice heard!
Members of the Edenbridge Hospital League of Friends Committee are broadly in agreement with the suggestion of creating a “Health Hub” in Edenbridge, the following being the main reasons for our support:
- The Doctors Surgery in Edenbridge is too small for our growing population and has insufficient car parking. Approval has already been given for a new Doctors Surgery to be built in Edenbridge.
- This new Surgery will contain all the newest equipment and facilities. It will be the centre of Health provision in the area.
- As a result, all the Outpatient services currently provided at the Hospital will be replicated at the new surgery and some such as the Health Visitors and Midwives will move their base to the new site.
- These new facilities will include a Minor Injury Unit, X-ray Department, Outpatient Clinics and Community Rooms. These rooms would be able to support the activities the Day Centre currently offers and more besides.
- Although the site of the new Surgery has not been decided upon yet, however, it makes little sense for the NHS to provide the same set of services in 2 locations in the town. It is likely therefore that the Hospital site would lose these services.
- The 14 in patient beds would unfortunately become unviable economically and the Hospital site would close with the loss to the Community of these beds.
- Current usage of the inpatient beds indicates that the local population can only support between 3 and 6 beds at any one time. Patients from Tonbridge, Maidstone, Tunbridge Wells and other locations account for most of the demand for beds at Edenbridge Hospital.
The Committee of the League of Friends of Edenbridge Hospital is supportive of the creation of a “Health Hub’ in Edenbridge to provide the services currently offered at both the Doctors Surgery and the outpatient services provided at the Hospital.
However, recognising that public transport to/from Edenbridge to other local Hospitals such as Sevenoaks, Redhill, Pembury or Maidstone is non- existent, we would urge the CCG (Clinical Commissioning Group) to ensure that the Edenbridge Community retains sufficient inpatient beds in Edenbridge itself. We understand that these may be provided outside of the “Health Hub” or current Hospital in a more economic way but the Committee feel that only by doing this will the people of Edenbridge genuinely feel that the new “Health Hub” is a good investment for the local population.
The Hospital Summer Fete will be held this year on Saturday 3rd June from 2-4PM. Car Parking will be available in Blossoms Park as usual.
Edenbridge War Memorial Hospital, Mill Hill, Edenbridge, Kent TN8 5DA
Tel: 01732 862137